These are presentation materials associated with my Advancement to Candidacy Exam September 26, 2011.
The handout includes three different documents:
slide set (revision 1.04).
You can get a copy of my advancement paper that is formatted somewhat better for viewing electronically (or really, anything other than binding) here.
This page can be accessed using the bit.ly link http://bit.ly/AdvJEH
You can send comments to me at: hillje (at) math (dot) uci (dot) edu.
- Paper revision 1.01 (2011-Sep-25): Corrected figure 3.1 so that it indicates "q" on the horizontal axis. (This correction was applied by hand to the distributed handouts)
- Slide revision 1.01 (2011-Sep-25): Corrected slide #43 so that the figure indicates "q" on the horizontal axis. Corrected slide #54 so that the f is described as being a polynomial (These corrections were applied by hand to the distributed handouts).
- Slide revision 1.02 (2011-Sep-26): Fixes for improper notation (slide #21) and two copy-and-paste errors (slide #48).
- Slide revision 1.03 (2011-Sep-29): Added Colophon.
- Paper revision 1.02 (2011-Sep-29): Added Colophon.
- Paper revision 1.03 (2011-Oct-02): Small scale typographical and editorial work.
- Slide revision 1.04 (2011-Oct-19): Revised start-of-section slide convention. Small correction to "Bounding Theorem Proof Outline I" slide. Small editorial changes.
- Paper revision 1.04 (2012-Feb-28): Some small scale editorial changes (mainly punctuation associated with display equations). Tried to make it more clear what happens with Lauder-Wan if the character is not suitably small.